Romans 12:2 (NKJV) And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NLT) Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.
With everything you have to do and think about during the Christmas season how can you keep your mind renewed. I have several suggestions:
- Even on the busiest days keep your prayer and Bible times as usual. At this time of year we need to keep filled up more than ever. If you need to cut something from your routine make the choice to not let this be what you cut. Ask the Lord, He will show you what can slide and what is really important. Trust Him with the answer.
- Listen to Christmas PRAISE music , not Christmas CANDY music. I’m not saying you shouldn’t listen to other Christmas fun songs, just don’t let that be the main thing you listen to. Find songs that uplift, encourage and praise God. They will help to lift you up and renew your mind, especially if they are based on scripture.
- The same holds with what you watch during the holidays. I like to watch holiday movies but most of them don’t have anything to do with the birth of Christ, so we need to supplement our watching time with uplifting things that are focused on Jesus and His teachings.
- Re-Read Luke 1:1-2:40. This is such a miraculous picture of Jesus birth and the Lord’s love and blessings to everyone.
- Think about your giving. Who are you giving to? How much? Why? Are you seeking the Lord’s guidance in your giving or just making a list and deciding how much you can afford? Ouch, that one hurt. I think I need to spend some time in prayer about this. Don’t get sucked into the world’s view of giving, find what the Bible says about it and adjust your priorities according to it.
- Give yourself permission to relax and enjoy the holiday. Spend time thanking and praising the Lord for His goodness and the blessings He gives us daily. Spend time showing your love and appreciation for family and friends (not just gifts of presents but gifts of time and attention). Give gifts of praise, everyone needs these.
Psalm 136 (NLT)
Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good!
His faithful love endures forever.